Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My 4X Game Project  (Read 5633 times)

Geoffroypi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My 4X Game Project
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:58 am »

Hello,
I have recently started to develop a 4X set in space , it is an very ambitious project , but i made some progress so far.
It is a proceduraly generated universe with realistic physics and datas . Stellar systems are generated with theirs planets and asteroids , province can be created simulating a very complexe and dynamic economy, basic ships and buildings design is implemented , made good progress on generating cities and building complexes, where population and economy is accuratly simulated (each character are represented even in a 50 000 inhabitants city).
An another thing i need to generate is your interest to the project :P and I would be happy to hear your feedbacks.

You will find details here in my sub-forum aurora's moderator created for me.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,196.0.html
Pour les francais :http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/85182-Mon-projet-de-Jeu-4X

Here some screenshots :

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:23:39 am by Geoffroypi »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: My 4X Game Project
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:31:15 am »

Meh, not interested enough to go clicking links.  Why don't you describe it for us if you want to generate interest? :P

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:32:46 am »

:o

This looks quite promising. Thanks for posting it here. I look forward to giving it a try once you are ready, if I have time to spare at that point.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:12:22 am »

Hmm, this looks pretty good. Like the original Aurora, but possibly actually playable XD

Though I have to ask: are you the creator of the original Aurora? Because if not the name may cause some legal issues, just saying.

I mean the original Aurora IS freeware, but still, programmers can get pretty damn protective of stuff, even things like mods. So making a sequel to someone elses game might piss them off. Unless you implicitly got their permission of course.

Would hate to see something promising die because of crazy legal stuffs.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:59 am »

Hmm, this looks pretty good. Like the original Aurora, but possibly actually playable XD

Though I have to ask: are you the creator of the original Aurora? Because if not the name may cause some legal issues, just saying.

I mean the original Aurora IS freeware, but still, programmers can get pretty damn protective of stuff, even things like mods. So making a sequel to someone elses game might piss them off. Unless you implicitly got their permission of course.

Erm, that's a link to the actual Aurora forums. The name of his game is not Aurora 2. :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 09:28:52 am »

Geoffroypi, perhaps you should put a cross-reference post in the Aurora thread here on B12?

Good luck with the project!  :)

Even besides the facts that gameplay/genre elements cannot be protected, and Geoffroy hasn't even named his project yet... Steve gave him space on Aurora's forum.  I think he's okay with it.

Where did your line of thinking even come from?  Not being argumentative here, I'm simply curious.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Geoffroypi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:31:14 am »

Meh, not interested enough to go clicking links.  Why don't you describe it for us if you want to generate interest? :P

I made some improvment on the original post  ;) .

There is a bit of confusion , my project has absolutly not links with aurora developed by Steve Walmsley.
-It is not inspired in terms of game mecanics , UI , and game design, there is a remake already underway and it is called Pulsar 4x .
-The name of the game isn't aurora2 , the link you see is the official aurora forum where a moderator created for me a sub-forum.

(It is like saying my project is a remake of dwarf fortress in space because i posted on bay12)

Where did your line of thinking even come from?  Not being argumentative here, I'm simply curious.
You mean why i started the project?  Since i learned to make a google search , my searching history consist of "most complexe 4x", "insanly complexe game" ect... since no game satisfied me i decided to create my own , the game i have always dreamed of .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:39:33 am by Geoffroypi »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:37:11 am »

I made some improvment on the original post  ;) .

There is a bit of confusion , my project has absolutly not links with aurora developed by Steve Walmsley.
-It is not inspired in terms of game mecanics , UI , and game design, there is a remake already underway and it is called Pulsar 4x .
-The name of the game isn't aurora2 , the link you see is the official aurora forum where a moderator created for me a sub-forum.

(It is like saying my project is a remake of dwarf fortress in space because i posted on bay12)

Ah, see that really threw me off. So if I might ask what IS the name of the game? Or have you not come up with one yet?

Indeed, I do this.

Geoffroypi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 09:41:08 am »

No name yet , any suggestions ? I'm thinking of something universal like in latin .

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 09:55:02 am »

Geoffroy, I was speaking to BFEL below the quote.  _Your_ thinking on making the game? that's easy.  You want to make a game!  It's as simple as that.  ;)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »

Well I was confused because the link said Aurora2. Naturally I assumed that was a thread title, and thus the name of the project.

Also as for names...hmm.....StarSpace? Which is what happens when you just combine the two most generic 4X beginnings XD.

Indeed, I do this.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 02:53:57 pm »

No name yet , any suggestions ? I'm thinking of something universal like in latin .

infinita stellarum
"infinite stars" in Latin

I think it might work better as a title with the words reversed... and maybe fiddle with the conjugation a bit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 03:10:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's not conjugated correctly.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 04:39:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's not conjugated correctly.

I got that from google-fu....  My limited exposure to latin was long ago, so it's very rusteus maximus.  ;)

It's the essence of the idea, though, which is what should be pondered.

Geoffroypi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 05:22:44 pm »

Thanks all of you for your interest.

It's the essence of the idea, though, which is what should be pondered.
Yes indeed .
Infinita stellarum (or whatever conjugation) is noted  . As i develop the storyline it might helps to find a name too .

Closing today the development of the economic simulator , (i will go back to it later) .
 I will continue tomorrow  on technologies and spaceships, newtonian and trans-newtonian(direct)  travels, crew & ship systems management, interstellar travels, hyperspace ect . . .
Pages: [1] 2